Apr 9, 2018
In this episode Scott and
Patrick discuss the important distinction between hopes and
- Talk about a time when you had expectations that
ended up in disappointment. Share a funny story if you have
- What is the difference between hope and
expectation? Why does that distinction matter?
- Patrick said, “Expectation is pre-planned
disappointment.” Discuss what this means and give a few examples
from everyday life. How does hope prevent disappointment? What is
the object of our focus when we have expectations? When we have
- Read Psalm 43:5. Discuss a time in
your life when you had to release a relationship or
circumstance into God’s control and place your hope in God. Is
there a desired outcome in your life right now that you need to let
- How does trusting in God’s sovereignty help us when
certain expectations are not met in life?
- What did Patrick say are some common coping
strategies men use for dealing with unmet expectations?
- Read Habakkuk 3:17-18; John 16:33.
What is Habakkuk experiencing here? How does he respond? What did
Jesus say about trouble? What is the danger of the prosperity
gospel? What might you be trusting in instead of God alone?
- Read Matthew 7:1-6. As a husband,
father, friend, or co-worker, are you focusing more on your own
flaws or the flaws of the other person? How should you respond to
the flaws of the other person?
- What does the New Testament teach us about
expectations? Patrick said, “It’s okay to receive love, but it’s
not okay to require it.“ Discuss an area in your life where you can